Monday, July 19, 2010

Bangkok Rules: Mr. Tana





Thai name : Sengka Tana
Teochew name : Quen Fah
Age : 74
Favorite quote: "Still waters run deep"

I met Mr. Tana outside my guesthouse after a long walk one day. I noticed him sitting down, just enjoying the afternoon breeze and I purposefully sat down and pretended to tie my shoes. I glanced and smiled in his direction, hoping for a conversation. Almost immediately he asked where I was from and what I was doing in Bangkok. I said I was here for a wedding and to see some friends and he said

" That's good. Very good. Friends are good. "

This soft eyed gentleman asked what I do for a living and I didn't know the Thai word for 'writer' so I pretended to write on my knee. He immediately understood and went " Oh good, good.." Just like my grandpa would. Mr. Tana then asked if i was Chinese and I said that I was and he enthusiastically told me that he was Teochew. He repeatedly invited me to head to China Town and I could only smile and say " Yes, yes.." He said he'd been in the army but I was too shy to ask him about his experiences. He pointed at his badges and pins and I hesitated to ask if i could take a picture but he must have known and allowed me to do so happily. We went on in my broken Thai and his limited English for an hour or so and before i left he said to me without ever taking his eyes of me..

" Nobody is too old to learn"

I won't forget Mr. Tana.


1 comment:

  1. good on ya, jon! i haven't quite mustered the courage yet to sit down w intriguing strangers and chat.

    ReplyDelete